Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #5623 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
Nirvana is one of the best bands to come out in rock. Anybody who doesn't understand why needs to figure it out themselves. I think people who say they are overrated, are the same people saying the Beatles are overrated. People who say they do not like something to look cooler than somebody else. Personally though, I think people who use overrated are not that cool to start with. I prefer to use "overhyped" as opposed to overrated.
Wait... so you're saying that just because some people don't think that Nirvana is "the best band to come out of rock" that means they are confused and need to figure it out for themselves?

First off, I don't think you can rate any band as being one of the best. It's impossible because rock is such a broad genre, and what may appeal to you may not appeal to someone else.

Secondly, most people here aren't all that concerned with a band being "overrated" because they are intelligent enough to realize a good musician/band can stand on its own without the factor of popularity/exposure. It's also not very wise to immediately assume that just because someone doesn't like a band it means they are trying to be cool (which hardly makes any sense to me at all). I do agree with you, however, on using the term over-hyped as opposed to overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
Agreed.

I think there are a lot of people on MB with that elitist frame of mind. If it's popular, it's overrated/or it sucks.
Do you have any proof of this? I'm sure there are a few people with that mindset, but I wouldn't say a lot.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote