Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #2221 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

One of the ultimate tough choices for me

In one corner - The mighty MC5, recorded live in Detroit, you can't go wrong. A MASSIVE Marshal Amp Attack, Rob Tyner's vocals calling you to attention.

In the other corner - The debut of the Stooges, new to the record scene (The 5 had some local singles already) and ready to crank up the amps to 11...although it was in the studio and so they had to turn them down a bit.

Still, although The 5 was one of the ultimate live bands, KOTJ has a couple of weak spots. The improv that may have sounded great live resulted in some wasted space on vinyl and although I know "Ramblin' Rose" is a fan favorite, Wayne Kramer's vocals just don't do right despite a killer guitar performance. I am more of High Time fan myself. Still, faults and all it's still a very essential part of anyone's High Energy collection and a classic testimonial to the power of Detroit Rock and Roll in '69 which boasts one of the most essential songs ever made.

The winner in this round has to be The Stooges. Sleazy and ready to shock, their debut seriously was ready for the kill.

Stooges 3
MC5 2