Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #2225 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
The Beatles are so awesome they can somehow win a battle between MC5 and The Stooges.

Kick Out The Jams is a brilliant album but I've never given The Stooges a proper listen yet. Gonna download that album later.
Thinking about '68/'69, maybe with The Beatles (1968), but in my opinion both The 5 and Stooges topped Abbey Road in terms of serious musical impact as The Beatles were ending in the most professional way possible while KOTJ and the Stooges' debut were part of the start of a bold sound that was right for '69 and Punk (George Martin should have forced "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" into the out take bin). However, The Plastic Ono Band's "Cold Turkey" certainly stood up as a single that had the power to match the two albums and Live Peace in Toronto could have been a major contender with them if they would have practiced more before the show. Hell, John did not even have to play any kind of rebel on his classic single, he just was as honest as he could be while unleashing killer guitar riffs and screams so if I put that against "Kick Out the Jams" as a single that compromised it's opening or "Out In the Street" there would be a big battle going on.

By the way, I actually really like most of Abbey Road as George's ballads remain among the best of Beatles classics and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is a serious jam while "Come Together" still is a smooth sounding track, it's just in comparison with two albums in discussion, it's not that strong of a battle in my opinion.

Now, when comparing albums of the era, throwing Rolling Stone's classic era defining Let It Bleed into the battle on the other hand...