Music Banter - View Single Post - Paul McCartney - The REAL King of Pop?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philreno View Post
Top three best living pop writers - Paul McCartney, The Bee Gees, and Burt Bacharach.
I'd put Brian Wilson, Paul Simon and Ray Davies above The Bee Gees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I'm saying pop songs will inherently sound dated as technology advances. Not to mention these songs are made to fit the times.

Pop rarely has a classic save for a handful of songs.
Hard for me to agree with that. Most of the famous melodies of the past are pop songs of one kind or another, surely many more than a handful. I think you might be just favouring more modern music as that is your preference? Of course more modern stuff has an advantage in that it can build on what went before, but that doesn't invalidate earlier stuff. Older classics still live on for those open to them. And rather than styles just becoming outdated as you say I would say they are simply added to. You get retro pop for example in all kinds of different styles through the decades. In the 70s and 80s there could be retro 60s pop for instance. Over the last few years there has been plenty of retro 80s stuff. All kinds of styles are possible in pop, not just those there are the most hip in a given moment. As for bands changing up their style of song just look at The Beatles they did all kinds of different songs, and that was back in the 60s.

Last edited by starrynight; 05-17-2011 at 08:52 AM.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote