Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Pop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Macca's singles are consistent

and his recent work is commendable

and Lemme Roll It to You is probably the best pop-rock song ever

heck, I even adore Pipes of Peace (the album)
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #32 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Better sure, but I'd say they were both pretty terrible. Lennon consistently hits me as a guy I'm supposed to like because of precedent.

"Aw man, how can you not like Lennon"

"I don't ****ing know, because it all sounds the god damned same and his lyrics aren't nearly as engaging as everyone pretends they are...thats how?"
Honestly, though, I feel solo-work wise the best was Harrison, but it's difficult to call him king from a Beatles perspective because he's written so few songs.

Then again, my favorite pop song writer is Brian Eno, and I don't even know if he could be considered 'pop'
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Honestly, though, I feel solo-work wise the best was Harrison, but it's difficult to call him king from a Beatles perspective because he's written so few songs.

Then again, my favorite pop song writer is Brian Eno, and I don't even know if he could be considered 'pop'
Yeah his solo work wouldn't be, but you're right, he was a songwriting monster. The Concert for George blew me out of the water...and I was in a La-Z-Boy!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I don't think they had nuclear weapons in the Bible.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #34 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

No... Just NO... Beatles as well as Lennon was way better than Paul..also he is NO Michael Jackson
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Top three best living pop writers - Paul McCartney, The Bee Gees, and Burt Bacharach.
Philreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #36 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philreno View Post
Top three best living pop writers - Paul McCartney, The Bee Gees, and Burt Bacharach.
one of the Bee Gees have already moved on
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philreno View Post
Top three best living pop writers - Paul McCartney, The Bee Gees, and Burt Bacharach.
I'd put Brian Wilson, Paul Simon and Ray Davies above The Bee Gees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I'm saying pop songs will inherently sound dated as technology advances. Not to mention these songs are made to fit the times.

Pop rarely has a classic save for a handful of songs.
Hard for me to agree with that. Most of the famous melodies of the past are pop songs of one kind or another, surely many more than a handful. I think you might be just favouring more modern music as that is your preference? Of course more modern stuff has an advantage in that it can build on what went before, but that doesn't invalidate earlier stuff. Older classics still live on for those open to them. And rather than styles just becoming outdated as you say I would say they are simply added to. You get retro pop for example in all kinds of different styles through the decades. In the 70s and 80s there could be retro 60s pop for instance. Over the last few years there has been plenty of retro 80s stuff. All kinds of styles are possible in pop, not just those there are the most hip in a given moment. As for bands changing up their style of song just look at The Beatles they did all kinds of different songs, and that was back in the 60s.

Last edited by starrynight; 05-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Most of the famous melodies of the past are pop songs of one kind or another, surely many more than a handful.

Older classics still live on for those open to them. You get retro pop for example in all kinds of different styles through the decades. In the 70s and 80s there could be retro 60s pop for instance. Over the last few years there has been plenty of retro 80s stuff. All kinds of styles are possible in pop, not just those there are the most hip in a given moment. As for bands changing up their style of song just look at The Beatles they did all kinds of different songs, and that was back in the 60s.
i don't think 60s, 70s or 80s pop sound "dated", they might only in terms of production values, not the construction of the melodies and the structure in general

and you have to understand that those tunes were made in the zeitgeist of those times
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #39 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
i don't think 60s, 70s or 80s pop sound "dated", they might only in terms of production values, not the construction of the melodies and the structure in general

and you have to understand that those tunes were made in the zeitgeist of those times
Absolutely. It's about songcraft, not just the production the music is clothed in. That's why classic songwriters from the 30s like Rodgers and Hart can still have their work listened to as well. And songs of course do get covered in different eras as well, more evidence that they do not die out as they are even re-interpreted by people.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Peace Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 68
Default

What did you guys think of his album "Memory Almost Full"?
__________________
Fight dis gen-uh-ration!
Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.