Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official OFWGKTA thread
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #364 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
I'm making a general statement and that's exactly what I think about Tyler. He's got some skills to be where he's at, but after a handful of listens it just becomes so old to me... Raping, killing, raping, killing...snore. I am sure a lot of people like his music and I'm sure there's people who genuinely like every artist's music, but I definitely see the bandwagon vibe from a lot of Tyler's fans. It's something new and different and people wanna feel like they are along for the ride before he blows up, even though he's already there. I think people exagerrate how much they like Tyler (not speaking about this forum, just in general). It's like when someone wants to like someone or something really bad so they almost force themselves. I don't think you are a retard, so I think you knew I wasn't saying it's impossible to like his music without being on some kind of bandwagon.

RZA cooks up some simple beats but they aren't as simple as these. I think Tyler's are much simpler, which obviously a lot of people don't mind. I'm not even saying I hate simple beats, I'm saying I don't think I like the product as a whole. Tyler's songs so far are those type of songs I'd give a listen a few times just to see what's up, but it's not something I'd go back to. I still haven't listened to Goblin completely though.
Yes Tyler gained most of his fans through internet word of mouth and self-promotion, i don't know how any artist gains popularity without forming some form of "bandwagon", he is new after all.

Most of his fans are willing to admit his faults, many of which you pointed out. Tyler isn't nearly as one dimensional as your making him out to be. I don't know how you can lose interest in an artist like tyler- who actually gets fairly introspective at moments- and continue to listen to Wiz Khalifa, who has yet to rap about something other then smoking weed.

You say "something new and different" like it's just some casual occurrence that shouldn't be recognized. Tyler's music isn't really great as a whole yet, but at least we can agree it's refreshing.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote