Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official OFWGKTA thread
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #369 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Hmmm, well I'm not actually a fan of Tyler so it's hard for me to defend him except to say that I think he's actually being satirical in his music. My point, though, is that one can appreciate art as an expression of something even if that something is hateful and ugly. Take the painter Francis Bacon for example. By most accounts he was a horrible, abusive person and he made artwork that was violent and ugly. Not a person I'd ever want to spend time with on a personal level but nevertheless he's one of my favorite painters. Why? Because his art expresses something so strong and so powerful, ugly and nasty as it is, that I can't help but appreciate his work.
I don't think that's a valid comparison. Unless I'm grossly misinformed, I don't think Bacon's art was offensive to a specific group of people or targeted anyone based on their characteristics/natural traits/preferences.

Quote:
She's free to say whatever she wants but likewise I'm certainly entitled to have an opinion about it. The problem I personally have with calls to stifle art like this is where does it end? There are plenty of people in this world who would love to stifle art that is critical of religion or government as well because to them that is hateful.
Being critical of something isn't the same as spreading prejudice and hate. One is constructive, the other is not.
Quote:
What social group is that?
Rappers. :/

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote