Music Banter - View Single Post - Do You Like or Dislike Women in Bands/as Singers
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #116 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I just thought the first song was ok thinking it was someone else who wrote the music, but when I found out besides singing Enya arrange and compose her songs, then I began to appreciate it more.
I was thinking about Enya's first album, The Celts, and then I realized the "connection" between women and Celtic music. It seems to be a genre where women are very important. There are a lot of female singers, instrumentalists, composers and bands including female members in Celtic music: Enya, Clannad, Loreena McKennitt, Capercaillie, Máiréad Nesbitt, Nightnoise, Celtic Woman, etc. And not only in Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but also in Brittany (in the north-west of France), Galicia (north-west of Spain), Canada, USA and other places.

No matter if they sing in Gaelic, English, Breton, French or Galician. Many songs seem to be perfect for a female voice.

There are many good instrumentalists too. These two are Máiréad Nesbitt (violin) and Susana Seivane (bagpipes):