Music Banter - View Single Post - Can God Give Free Will?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

There's no way to prove free will, just like there's no way to prove predestination. Any action could be (mis)construed as being predestined, no matter how random. The idea of free will makes people feel empowered. The idea of predestination gives people an overall sense of security, with "everything happening according to God's plan."

I stand in the corner of free will. I would hate to think that "God" predestined millions of Jews to die in the Holocaust, 3,000+ people to die on 9/11, my uncle to die from a brain tumor, or me to go through a hellacious divorce (especially just to "test our faith" as Vanilla says). That would be pretty sh*tty in my opinion.

Why would "God" predestine people to go against his will? If he is all good, all knowing, and all powerful, why would he need to make us suffer in order to test our faith in him? The Bible says that he is a "jealous God." What does he have to be jealous of? Unless he has legitimate competition, why sweat it? It seems that he needs us to worship and obey him just as much as we "need" him. If everyone has free will, what if everyone chose to disobey him and follow Satan? According to him, the whole world would go to Hell, and he would be sitting alone in heaven with his thumb up his ass. What good does that do anyone?

With no proof of an afterlife, wouldn't it behove him to give us some incentive in THIS life to follow him?
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote