Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official OFWGKTA thread
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 AM   #436 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

my god the last two pages of this thread are ****ing RETARDED.

i find it completely stupefying that people can't separate satire from actual serious intent. i know that not everyone has the time or interest to listen through all of OF's work, but if y'all did, you'd find that a large part of their stuff is tongue-in-cheek or satirical.

if anything i'm glad these guys are around to make fun of alot of the stereotypical homophobia and misogyny that's rooted in hip-hop.

i'm not even saying that T&S shouldn't talk about the issue with lyrics that offend a certain group, if anything these are issues that are deep seated in the hip hop community and definitely need to be addressed, but just going after this group is asinine, especially considering the real misogynistic and homophobic performers in not just hip-hop but also other forms of music like rock or metal.

honestly the real issue with the "call for change" blogpost is that someone really DOESN'T GET A JOKE.

for example, a song like "Bitch Suck Dick" has lyrics that could be viewed as misogynistic, but in the context of the song, which also has the lyric
Quote:
"i bought a fucking whale....cause i'm ballin"
does it even sound like something that should be taken seriously?

here's the thing, people may be attacking OF for homophobic/misogynistic lyrics, but there's also lyrics that can be seen as offensive to many different types of people, for ex, Tyler rapping about how his clothes are cotton like
Quote:
"some smelly dirty rotten nigger picked it from a cotton gin".
you can take that sort of offensiveness to the bank.

not only that but you could also find lyrics that contradict many of the so called homophobic or misogynistic verses, such as Tyler rhyming that he's going to wear a wedding dress or get raped by R. Kelly, or even how he cuts himself while ragging on emo kids.

like Tuna said before, if you're the type of person who would take this kind of stuff as some call to arms to start seriously hurting gays and women, there was something mentally f*cked up with you in the first place. it's all about CONTEXT. it's the same thing that makes sarcasm work, it's the same thing that can make a joke about dead babies or the holocaust funny to some people and not others. i get if someone doesn't find them funny, i'm not angry if they don't find it funny, but what irks me is people taking it more seriously than intended and acting like things like that were never joked about or uttered before that point.

you can talk about being politically correct all you want, but if people start censoring everything that's the least bit offensive out there, how the hell could we progress as a society? if you had to block things that would be seen as offending a group of people, wouldn't that mean banning music from oppressed groups against their oppressors? if you ask me, i'll take some Klan member down south singing about lynching n*ggers and killing sp*cs (i'm Hispanic, btw) if that means i have the freedom to express myself in the fullest regard. yes, that kind of messed up stuff is out there, but no one's making me listen to it.

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 05-31-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote