Music Banter - View Single Post - A question to vegetarians
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #287 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
So, if someone is wanting to put on lean muscle mass, such a person might have a good argument for eating a fish that has washed up onto shore and thus died of natural causes! (I'm trying to relate our conversation to the original poster's question. )

However, I wonder whether the 40:40:20 rule truly *is* the best ratio of protein:carbohydrates:fat calories to eat to put on lean muscle mass. Do bodybuilders who eat beans and grains for protein actually *have* a harder time putting on lean muscle mass than meat-eating bodybuilders?
I suppose if they you had vegan bodybuilder (Y) and omnivore bodybuilder (A), and they had the same protein & calorie intake & exercise... yeah, they may be able to put on muscle at a similar rate.

I do know that protein dense, lean meat (tuna, chicken breast) does require the body to burn calories to process it. I don't know if a protein dense vegetarian meal would have the same effect. And, although people often say that beans & rice is a great source of protein, would the vegetarian have to use more variety of grains to have the same effects on the body?