Music Banter - View Single Post - Advice thread
Thread: Advice thread
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #159 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I'm completely confused about what I should be doing with my life.

I've been doing theatre and writing for as long as I can remember, and for both have been able to get a little bit of income here and there. Strangely enough, visual art (which is something I do as little more than a hobby, to be quite honest) and music (which I've been doing for a year) seem to be paying me better.

I got paid 75% of my income in the past year for acoustic gigs, filling in as a rhythm guitarist or playing on recordings, and for illustration or design work. People have even just asked me to draw them things or paint things for them, and paid me $30+ for each work. But, like I said, these things I do as more of a hobby than anything, and I don't really feel as motivated to do these things as I feel to write or to perform in a theatrical capacity. Writing and theatre are my main motivations in life overall. If I'm not doing those things, I really don't feel as though I'm living at all. I really *have* to write and act. It's not as though I could just walk away from it.

With that said, I was wondering if my life would be easier if I tried harder at the two things which have been earning me the most cash flow, and putting the things I love the most on the back burner. I'd still be working at them, but acknowledging that they aren't what I should be doing right now.

What I'm really wanting advice on is if I should try to pursue the other two artistic mediums which have proved to be more effective for me personally in the past year or so and try to get enough money from that to follow my bliss...or if I should just try harder at the things I love and hope that the little bit of income from the other things can help me do that.

I'm in a complete funk.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote