Music Banter - View Single Post - A question to vegetarians
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #595 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I have to ask this, why do vegetarians feel like that's a valid argument to compare domesticated animals to farm animals that are used for consumption?

There is also another argument that comes into play majority of the time.

If you are okay with eating cows then you should be okay with eating humans because humans are animals.

Why are those two considered valid arguments/talking points? I don't get it.
(1) Because in some parts of the world, animals you and I may consider as "pet" animals *are* used for consumption. Because whether animals are considered "pets" or "food" doesn't mean that these animals' experiences and enjoyment of life are signficantly different. Dogs, pigs, cows, cats...all have feelings and awareness.

(2) Because meat-eating people often claim that humans should be able to eat animals guiltlessly, without explaining why that is their opinion or addressing the fact that humans *are* animals and appear to share with many of our animal cousins a similar ability to feel joy and pain.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote