Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #6721 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
Well, I still don't think very highly of Clapton. I go by those stories when the Blues Breakers and Fleetwood Mac would play shows together. When they Blues Breakers played, fans yelled "CLAPTON IS GOD!!" and when Fleetwood Mac came up, fans would yell "PETER GREEN IS GREATER THAN GOD!!" Clapton is in the upper tier of classic rock guitarists, but 'God' is a title he's never earned in my eyes.

I've heard Disraeli Gears several times before and always had each member of Cream on the same level in my eyes. But this time just convinced me that Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce were the musical force that drove Cream, and as good of a rhythm section as there ever has been. And both could even go beyond just holding down the rhythm.

This was more of a revelation, than an unpopular opinion now that I look back on it...
You have to hear and see Clapton cover Robert Johnson before you completely understand him as one of the "Great" blues artist. The sequence & timing that is involved covering Johnson's vocals & guitar at the same time can be if not "Hard" at the least. If not, Impossible for most musicians.
Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac also plays using the same basic hand style as Robert Johnson also. And Keith Richards is highly influenced by Johnson as well.
But no one covers his music any better on guitar and vocals than Clapton does. Clapton once stated that "he practiced for a week in preparation for covering just two songs by Johnson".
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote