Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #6723 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Clapton and he's critically acclaimed & well noted blues guitar player, but when you think about his technique he fiddles around on the guitar in a pentatonic box and people think it's sheer genius. Clapton's level of playing isn't the same level as other guitar players outside the blues genre.

I've seen bands play in bars and when a guitar player does something as simple a bend a note and the bar goes crazy but if the guitarist does something complicated - no response. Technical ability and what sounds cool aren't always mutually inclusive so the fans reaction doesn't mean much as a gauge for how great he is as a guitar player other than they like him (in this case) when a fan shouted that about Clapton, he could had been on acid and tripping on Clapton's painted guitar when he yelled that - who knows. He was just searching for a superlative to describe his affinity for EC playing - it was only a opinion, not necessarily a dogmatic epithet.
I see Clapton more as an artist than looking at him as just a guitar player, and nothing more. The technical complexity of being a lead guitarist as well as a lead vocalist at the same time over shadows just playing guitar any day.

You kinda lost me with all the "psychedelic" (stuff). But for "Reals", he is just a guitar player/artist only. Not God.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote