Music Banter - View Single Post - Marilyn Manson
Thread: Marilyn Manson
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #174 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlein View Post
I love to listen to sweet dreams, right round, and tainted love. His versions are just awesome!
I agree (belatedly). I feel that Marilyn Manson's cover of "Sweet Dreams" is much more disturbed and disturbing than the original by Eurythmics, so it appeals to me more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
There should be a rock community citizen's arrest warrant for this man. Nothing he has done is innovative and all he serves to do is act as a punching bag for the media. He gives extreme music a bad name and while his image may be interesting, his music is not. Lock him up and throw away the key.
He's already been locked up, but luckily the key wasn't thrown away.

I disagree with you that Marilyn Manson has done nothing innovative. Even his covers are innovative and carry his own, unique musical and visual style. His music and image are expressive, aggressive, sexual...but not run-of-the mill metal where "macho" men bang their heads around. Manson gives a delicate, sinuous, senuous warped feeling to his music and performances, which are like watching a "soul" explode so that all can see the innards.

Here are two of his songs that I hadn't heard before today and rather like:

Marilyn Manson - "Wormboy"
Has a nice quirky, alternative, but heavy sound.

Marilyn Manson - "Burning Flag"
The song effectively turns anger into sound, in my opinion.

I also find more than his image interesting. I feel his life is interesting. For example, he has made his own path, challenging sexist gender biases in society, and that takes bravery. He also challenges the notion that appearance makes the man:

Marilyn Manson comments on jail (2007) - He talks about how police treated him in jail (not well)

Marilyn Manson at his home - (short documentary) He shows his off-stage life, which includes painting watercolors and appreciating his loved-ones.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 07-29-2011 at 06:13 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote