Music Banter - View Single Post - Marilyn Manson
Thread: Marilyn Manson
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #175 (permalink)
Metal Connoisseur
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I agree (belatedly). I feel that Marilyn Manson's cover of "Sweet Dreams" is much more disturbed and disturbing than the original by Eurythmics, so it appeals to me more:

He's already been locked up, but luckily the key wasn't thrown away.

I disagree with you that Marilyn Manson has done nothing innovative. Even his covers are innovative and carry his own, unique musical and visual style. His music and image are expressive, aggressive, sexual...but not run-of-the mill metal where "macho" men bang their heads around. Manson gives a delicate, sinuous, senuous warped feeling to his music and performances, which are like watching a "soul" explode so that all can see the innards.

I also find more than his image interesting. I feel his life is interesting. For example, he has made his own path, challenging sexist gender biases in society, and that takes bravery. He also challenges the notion that appearance makes the man:

Marilyn Manson comments on jail (2007) - He talks about how police treated him in jail (not well)

Marilyn Manson at his home - (short documentary) He shows his off-stage life, which includes painting watercolors and appreciating his loved-ones.
Last I checked, the guards in prison don't treat anyone well. The bottom line is that his music wasn't interesting or good enough to stand on its own two legs so he created his image as gimmick to sell records. There's so much better music in the realm of industrial rock.

As for those run-of-the-mill metal bands, at least they didn't have to get breast augmentations to sell records and get people to take notice of them.
Metal Connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote