Music Banter - View Single Post - Americas Prison Systems
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #82 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Alright, prison has always been a big interest of mine. I think what has always interested me is basically how prison life is a society of it's own, with it's own rules and norms.

But anyways, I think two important things should happen with prisons. First off, stop incarcerating drug offenders to ridiculous sentences. Such a ridiculous number of prisons are over crowded. You have gymnasiums filled with bunkbeds that are filled with violent offenders, so of course problems are bound to happen. Hell, crack was introduced to blacks by our government, and then the government funds their wars and starts locking up crack dealers and users for ridiculous amounts of time. I mean, for like 15 years the mandatory minimum sentence for trafficking 500grams of powder was the same as 5 grams of crack.

I'm pretty sure half our prisons are made up of drug offenders. I'm not saying don't lock them up, but quit giving out 20 year sentences to non-violent criminals. And yes, it IS a form of racism because we've forced minorities into these impoverished areas where drugs are always going to be a huge problem. So we've got all these drug offenders sitting in jail, which kinda brings me to the second thing we should do which is to separate non-violent offenders from violent offenders.

If you've got violent convicts mixed with non-violent convicts, you then force the non-violent ones to become violent to protect themselves. I'm talking about separating inmates who can be rehabilitated to those who can't be rehabilitated. And I guess someone could say "LOL Dirty thats so dumb anyone can be rehabbed!!" but cmon, let's use our brains here. There are tons of offenders locked up who have no interest in rehabilitating and go to prison to hone their criminal skills and make connections. Some people ARE lost causes and only hurt the chances of those who might want to make a strong effort to rehabilitate. Also, seperate lifers from anyone who isn't serving a life sentence. Again, you can see a theme with my reasoning which is separate those who can be contributors to society from those who can't. I feel like we are probably turning a lot of convicts into worse people by placing them in bad situations.

Also, you can look up interviews of wardens on youtube or wherever where they speak pretty frankly about prison assault and rape. I think general safety is something that should be considered a little more seriously (I know it's prison and violence happens). At the same time though, I don't really care if an inmate gets the hell beat out of them by staff if they are trying to injure staff members. These prison guards put up with so much bullshit, I don't know how they don't let their rage get the best of them and start killing people. If I had shitheads throwing urine on me or trying to stab me with makeshift weapons, I'd probably blow a fuse and take my nightstick to their skulls.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote