Music Banter - View Single Post - Rage Against the MODchine
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #409 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post

Of course...

...the rules *also* say:

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks."

Read more: Music Banter - Announcements in Forum : Introductions
If you're being a rules lawyer like that, I think its important to note that

1 - Big3 phrased the first part you bolded as an opinion, not a fact, to me that would leave sufficient leeway to interpret it as either an insult or a statement on personal feeling, or both, or neither.

2 - The second part you bolded was a statement aimed at nobody in particular and merely notes the type of people we don't want here. It makes no claims as to anyone here in past or right now.

Of course, if you're going to start arguing semantics, we rapidly approach the pointless and stupid, really. Anyone with half a brain can see that what you claim is exactly what big3 intended, but I think the fact applying a different viewpoint to the same information can totally change its meaning means that a call for black and white rulings on everything, and no flexibility on that point (Not that you are calling for this, but people have and people will*), will only result in huge arguments, especially since insults are by their nature often opinions taken in unintended ways, or more subversively, insults phrased as benign opinion.

I've been on forums that did that black and white thing with insults. All rudeness of any kind was disallowed, if not by the mods, then by the community, who would happily report any and all ill-will of any kind TO the mods until the mods got sick of that person being a source of trouble and banned them basically with no better reasons than the constant pestering of the hivemind. And those forums sucked every kind of penis it is possible for a forum to suck. Lets not lose sight of what we expect from people here, since lets be honest, if this forum were as draconian as some members would either like it to be or are claiming it IS, I think really a whole bunch of perfectly amicable people would be banned on the spot.

* - Lest we forget Freebase Dali's ill-fated attempt to be THE FAIREST MOTHERFRICKIN MOD IN TOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 08-10-2011 at 03:56 PM.