Music Banter - View Single Post - London riots
Thread: London riots
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #90 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykonos View Post
I'm not sure about that. There have been plenty of prison sentences, but they're mostly for the more serious crimes like assault and arson than for petty thievery.
No, that is true. I saw it confirmed on the news. A kid who stole mineral water, totalling £3.50, was sentenced to six months in prison. It's examples of discipline like this, coming down bloody hard on people who chose to be a part of this and either instigate or involve themselves in it, why the last few nights have been quiet. In my opinion, anyway.

As I said before, the riots were so huge because before there was a huge police presence on the streets and arrests started to be made, a lot of people didn't see a real threat of pubishment for their actions. They didn't see any realistic consequences for their actions. You start handing out sentences like that, and even threatening to transport those arrested OUT of the capital to detain them once Londons cells filled up to capacity, and it quickly became apparent that should you take part and get caught, you will get punished.

I'm not saying this justifies a pro-stance on corporal punishment but theres a point Urban made that I do agree with, at least with how I see things in this country, and that is that alot of kids fail to see where the consequences are for their actions. I know people who work in schools who most definitely agree with me, that alot of kids feel they have their law on their side. Their parents aren't gonna lay a hand on them, cause they are scared to do it. For most kids this wont be a serious issue, but what about for those who see this as opportunity to see how far they can push them and exactly what they can get out of this for themselves? Then they go to school and the teachers and staff are even more terrified of disciplining a student. They know fine well that a kid can wind them up, push them, verbally abuse them, spit at them, or physically attack them but if they put a hand on them, even in self-defence, they are likely to fired and made out to be a demon in the press for their actions. Most kids don't even need to take it this far, they just need to know that the law is on their side to this degree and a simple threat to a teacher can get them whatever they want and enable them to do whatever they want to.

It's not a real surprise that once riots break out, a lot of young people are more than prepared to go and join in, rob whatever or whoever they want, and be fairly sure they are gonna get away with it.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote