Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite anti-love song?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #59 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidesamulson View Post
well i just hate anti love songs.Life is nothing without love.
Ah...but you see, you *hate*. Songs that express hatred don't mean that life is without love.

Anti-love songs are all about how we deal with disappointment. Being able to express that in ways that aren't horribly destructive is *part* of love.

Haven't you ever felt angry that people you love can affect you so much that what they do can result in your feeling bad? More generally speaking, I love life, but I hate life for being finite. The fact that there is life as distinct from death means that all those whom I love will be killed off. Music lets us express our ambivalences and contrasting emotions. I feel it is better and more loving to admit them rather than hide them.

Tonight I happened upon this anti-love song, "Rotten Love," by The Briefs and I love the sound of it! I'd never heard of The Briefs before, a punk band from Seattle, Washington (The Briefs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

The song reminds me of some by two groups I like, The Breeders and Polvo, because of the jangly feel and strong beat. I also like how the lyrics don't shy away from expressing just a teensy, tiny bit of frustration:

Quote:

Just shut your mouth, close your eyes.
You're in for quite a surprise.
Something for nothing, but nothing's for free.

I'd like to twist of your head.
I think you'd look better dead.
No change for someone, not someone like me.

Rotten rotten love, rotten rotten love, rotten rotten love.

THE BRIEFS - ROTTEN LOVE LYRICS
Cheerful, no?

The Briefs - Rotten Love

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-23-2011 at 09:35 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote