Music Banter - View Single Post - Addiction
Thread: Addiction
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #62 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Tobacco, and possibly weed. I'm an insomniac, and for the last month have been using weed almost every night to actually fall asleep. It's got to the point where if I don't have a zoot in the early hours I become anxious and actually scared of lying in bed awake amidst pitch black silence. It's a totally vicious circle, or at least it feels like one.

As for alcohol, my dad was an alcoholic, and in a way I have him to thank for the fact that I'll never abuse the stuff. It can have absolutely atrocious consequences for not only the user, but those around them too.

I've dabbled with various other drugs, but never developed an attachment to them.
Honestly, it's eerie how much similarity I can see here.

I was in the same boat a few months ago, I abruptly stopped smoking weed and couldn't sleep at all for about a month. Later ended up having a few severe panic attacks that landed me in the hospital & got hooked on Ativan in the process. Shit was so bad I had to withdraw for a semester and get my act together. I spent more time than I'm willing to divulge talking to mental health professionals about problems that didn't exist (apart from substance abuse issues).

Needless to say, it was a part of my life that I'm very much eager to not re-live. I still drink and smoke weed infrequently, but I'm never going to allow recreational pursuits govern my mental health again.