Music Banter - View Single Post - Muslim/Islamic Views on Women
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Mykonos
AWhatup Ganache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
wtf? The bullseye the Bible puts on them? Really? Please, please state what you mean.
I just played around with spelling of bull****, because I'm cool like that. What I was saying is that the Bible doesn't even try to be fair and equitable to women. Yes, there's the whole 'he created man and women in his own image'. Yes, it frequently states that we're all important to god, regardless of gender. But then read some of the letters in the New Testament and some of the treatments of women in the Old. Jesus didn't have any female disciples, despite having multiple followers. Women are supposedly not allowed to speak in church or unless spoken to anywhere. Hell, women were sort of even blamed for the entire downfall and sin of man. Sure, Islam also has plenty of sexism and oppressive actions in it. But at least they try to do it for the right cause. Assuming that the Qu'ran was written by a man (I know Muslims believe it's directly the word of Allah, but I don't so I'm referring to the man that I believe penned it) he was of course living in a much older and constrasting culture to the one we live in today. Due to the nature of pretty much any patriarchy, women would have inevitably been used as objects, servants and lower beings by many people. So by setting up this whole system, he, at least in his mind, tried to give women a bit of freedom and fairness.