Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #6874 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

The sales for many of those bands have declinded for the most part. Basically with all those bands you mentioned, they may still have their niche audience, but public interest is declining, as the sales and commercial failures they have seen. Nu-Metal's core audience was the teen angst market, if anything I would call it an evolution (or de-evolution, depending on what side of the fence you are on) of Grunge. It owed just as much to them as it did Pantera or Slayer. Was always aimed at that demographic. Korn and Limp Bizkit both released albums recently that say they interest is not there anymore. So far Korn's last album has very little when compared it them at the peak of when Nu-Metal was the thing. Looking at the sales figures, in 5 months Korn's last album said 350,000 world wide. I would say 2002 was the commercial death of the style, when it went downhill. The better bands like say Deftones evolved into a different band, while say Korn to this day are just trying to re-capture that time and it is now just cliche. Nu-Metal will have it's niche markets, but it is not the big boom and popularity.

Yeah, emo gets a lot of backlash... but it's origins were much more interesting. Emo and Screamo, listen to the origins.. Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Swing Kids, Antioch Arrow ... Both those styles just a bad name cause of what is associated with it now, but they had a much better ethic in my mind and the music was just more interesting.

Anyways, I do not care if people listen to nu-metal, if ya get off on it.. whatever helps ya get through the night.. However, I do not care if you listen to it, and suggesting you get into other types of metal is just trying to expand the horizons. It is not the fact the core fanbase listens to Nu-Metal, it is just that the majority of them all think Metal starts and ends with just that one style. It is just as equal snobbery to me to disregard the rest of it... many I have met have just been close minded like that.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote