Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Metal Album of All Time?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #65 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

Blue Cheer had originals, first album had 6 songs, 3 covers and 3 originals

being one of them.

Still has a sound that could be seen as proto-metal. Since yeah, Heavy Metal in it's primitive form was just a heavy form of blues rock.

I am not disputing that Sabbath were the first to combine all the elements found before them into a sound that would ultimatly become the basis for Heavy Metal a short while later.. they would inspire the look, feel and lyrical content, cause lyrically Sabbath wrote darker lyrics than any of the bands mentioned...

So really it not far off if you say that Sabbath were the first to combine all the elements that would become the common themes of Heavy Metal.... but the question is were they really the first to create the sound, or were they just the first to combine them all from blue prints made before them.

Sabbath did have the look, their lyrics talked about the occult, the downtuned guitars..

I guess you could say Blue Cheer, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple... they wrote the recipe, and Sabbath came along and baked the cake.

I also do not think that without Sabbath metal would not exist, I think there would have been another band who would have taken their place. Metal may be slightly different, but it would still exist today without Sabbath...

... but that is all just anyones guess... because Sabbath did happen and here we are.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote