Music Banter - View Single Post - guitar soloing over chords
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I'm going to go with a halfway answer.

Steve Vai and BB King are just as good as each other.

HOWEVER.

Its ****ing bull**** when people claim a fast player has no 'soul' or feeling. Or prog bands. Or any other sort of highly technical music. People who don't believe in what they're doing get nowhere in music. Those bands mean every note just as much as the bluesmen. The nobodies and bedroom shredders are the ones to level that accusation at.

Not every slow half step bend denotes feeling. Not every shred passage denotes the absence of feeling. Both have their place and the greatest players use that to their advantage, including Steve Vai.

Oh, and just to note - Any guitarist who is really good at playing slowly, can probably play pretty damned fast when they want to just by virtue of having a ****alod of practice.
Good answer. I think some people tend to believe that if someone doesnt play really fast, then they arent very good.

I have another question. Does anyone mix the minor pentatonic, the blues scale and the dorian mode? the blues scale contains all the same notes as the minor pentatonic, it just adds the 2 blue notes. Why use the minor pentatonic when you can use the blues scale? Also, the dorian mode contains all the notes of the minor pentatonic, it just adds some notes. So, when you combine the dorian mode and the minor pentatonic, all you are missing is the 2 blue notes. Just add the 2 blue notes to the dorain mode and you have a combination of the minor pentatonic, the blues scale and the dorian mode.

Last edited by blastingas10; 09-23-2011 at 02:22 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote