Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

This is simple. If it sounds good then it works and there are no certain set of rules. Just go with it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
rnrloser_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North bum-feck, NH
Posts: 98
Default

here's something you can do. Figure out what key the song is in. Typically, its the last chord in the progression or the last chord of the song. It holds true for a lot of rock songs and will work mostly work for easier stuff that isn't overly complex. Next, learn the blues scale and play that scale corresponding to the key signature. The blues scale kicks ash because its a pattern that you can just shift up and down the fret board. So if it ends in the C chord, then find the C on the low E string and that will be the root for your solo. I do this when I improv ZZ Top and other rock based songs and it usually works pretty well once you've gotten used to the notes/patterns.

Here, read and practice this.

Solo Guitar - The Blues Scales - 12bar Blues Guitar

Go up and down the scale until you know that pattern then just play with it and you'll develop your skill as you go. Oh, and the difference between the major and minor scales are shown as the note in BLUE. This is the blue note which is a good way to put some feeling into that baby.
__________________
-IX
rnrloser_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Thanks for all the help. Ive been working on my scales for a while. Ive got a few of them down. I was just having trouble with knowing what to play over a chord progression. But i think im starting to understand more. I guess you could say im working on the alphabet (scales) and im starting to make my way in to forming words (licks/phrases.) Ive found that jam tracks are very useful.

Ive got some questions for you all. What makes a good guitar player? Is the ability to play fast really important? For example, Is steve vai automatically a better guitarist than BB king just because he can play faster? Vai can play way faster, no doubt. But ill always enjoy listening to BB king more than i enjoy vai. I guess its just a matter of personal preference, but i want to know what you think. I guess what im trying to say is, the more technical a guitarist is, the better he is?

Last edited by blastingas10; 09-23-2011 at 01:19 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Thanks for all the help. Ive been working on my scales for a while. Ive got a few of them down. I was just having trouble with knowing what to play over a chord progression. But i think im starting to understand more. I guess you could say im working on the alphabet (scales) and im starting to make my way in to forming words (licks/phrases.) Ive found that jam tracks are very useful.

Ive got some questions for you all. What makes a good guitar player? Is the ability to play fast really important? For example, Is steve vai automatically a better guitarist than BB king just because he can play faster? Vai can play way faster, no doubt. But ill always enjoy listening to BB king more than i enjoy vai. I guess its just a matter of personal preference, but i want to know what you think.
I'm going to go with a halfway answer.

Steve Vai and BB King are just as good as each other.

HOWEVER.

Its ****ing bull**** when people claim a fast player has no 'soul' or feeling. Or prog bands. Or any other sort of highly technical music. People who don't believe in what they're doing get nowhere in music. Those bands mean every note just as much as the bluesmen. The nobodies and bedroom shredders are the ones to level that accusation at.

Not every slow half step bend denotes feeling. Not every shred passage denotes the absence of feeling. Both have their place and the greatest players use that to their advantage, including Steve Vai.


Oh, and just to note - Any guitarist who is really good at playing slowly, can probably play pretty damned fast when they want to just by virtue of having a ****alod of practice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I'm going to go with a halfway answer.

Steve Vai and BB King are just as good as each other.

HOWEVER.

Its ****ing bull**** when people claim a fast player has no 'soul' or feeling. Or prog bands. Or any other sort of highly technical music. People who don't believe in what they're doing get nowhere in music. Those bands mean every note just as much as the bluesmen. The nobodies and bedroom shredders are the ones to level that accusation at.

Not every slow half step bend denotes feeling. Not every shred passage denotes the absence of feeling. Both have their place and the greatest players use that to their advantage, including Steve Vai.


Oh, and just to note - Any guitarist who is really good at playing slowly, can probably play pretty damned fast when they want to just by virtue of having a ****alod of practice.
Good answer. I think some people tend to believe that if someone doesnt play really fast, then they arent very good.

I have another question. Does anyone mix the minor pentatonic, the blues scale and the dorian mode? the blues scale contains all the same notes as the minor pentatonic, it just adds the 2 blue notes. Why use the minor pentatonic when you can use the blues scale? Also, the dorian mode contains all the notes of the minor pentatonic, it just adds some notes. So, when you combine the dorian mode and the minor pentatonic, all you are missing is the 2 blue notes. Just add the 2 blue notes to the dorain mode and you have a combination of the minor pentatonic, the blues scale and the dorian mode.

Last edited by blastingas10; 09-23-2011 at 02:22 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
rnrloser_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North bum-feck, NH
Posts: 98
Default

I just want to through out that most of those guitarists are all equally good in the whole scheme of things but that really doesn't matter. A great guitarist who has a firm handle on all the technical aspects of playing isn't worth his/her nail clippings if they can't play with emotion. Wether it be slow or fast, melodic or chaotic, emotion should go into everything. The absence of emotion makes everything seam flat and it feels and sounds like its missing something. Also, having technical skill does not mean they can write, which is more important in my eyes. Being a great guitar player is good, but they're are limitless amounts of those. The true legends, like Vai or Satriani, achieved their spot in the sun for being excellent MUSICIANS. Don't sacrifice musicianship for technical skill. They go hand in hand but musicianship and creativity is where the real magic happens.
__________________
-IX
rnrloser_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Good answer. I think some people tend to believe that if someone doesnt play really fast, then they arent very good.
My point is the exact opposite. People tend to assume that if someone plays fast they don't mean it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
My point is the exact opposite. People tend to assume that if someone plays fast they don't mean it.
Its the complete opposite for me. Most people I know think that its all about speed.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Its the complete opposite for me. Most people I know think that its all about speed.
Speed is easy, to be honest. Especially if you play melodies that repeat a sequence of notes maybe 3-5 notes long. What's hard is long melodies, imo. Because, it requires more energy of precision, memory, and focus.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
Speed is easy, to be honest. Especially if you play melodies that repeat a sequence of notes maybe 3-5 notes long. What's hard is long melodies, imo. Because, it requires more energy of precision, memory, and focus.
I agree. Its not that hard to play the same lick over and over at a high speed. But i guess people like vai and satriani dont do that. they seem to shred up and down the fretboard
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.