Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #294 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
He popularized American folk music, and he helped create folk rock.

No, I think he helped bring abstractions to lyricism in modern music. I see that as a somewhat sizable contribution... especially since it became popular shortly after his inclusion of them.

However, if we're going to talk about pioneers in lyricism, I feel that The Velvet Underground (whose frontman was actually heavily influenced by Dylan) were much more important. They brought both intelligence and "forbidden" subject matters to rock, and this was around the same time that Dylan started to (1965).

Can you please share with us some examples of this?

I agree, but being a decent lyricist doesn't make you a decent musician.

You know what... I think you might be right. While his "regressive preservation" of folk music is down-heartening, he certainly helped change rock's sound (for better or for worse).

I think Leonard Cohen did a much better job, but Dylan was certainly one of the first.

There's no such thing as "good" music. Since music is an art form, one's interpretation of it is entirely subjective. Also, being condescending on this website won't get you very far, my friend.
Yes he did help create folk rock, more than anyone else. The Byrds are seen as the pioneers of Folk Rock and they owe a lot of their fame to Dylan. I cant think of anyone who covered more Dylan songs than the Byrds. The term "folk rock" was itself first coined by the U.S. music press to describe The Byrds' music in June 1965, the same month that the band's debut album was issued. The release of The Byrds' cover version of Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" and its subsequent commercial success initiated the folk rock explosion of the mid-1960s

The Velvet underground was great. Its pretty apparent that Lou Reed was influenced by Dylan. You can hear it in his vocal style. However, I dont think he was better than Dylan. I dont think they more important either. As you said, Reed was heavily influenced by Dylan.

I dont need to provide examples. Just listen to the music, read the lyrics. Its a fact that Dylan was very influenced by classic poets. He has been nominated for the Nobel Prize in literature every year since 1996. The only thing keeping him from winning is the fact some people dont think song lyrics are poetry. But there is no question that the two are linked.

"I don't think there's anybody that uses words better than he does," said Christopher Ricks, Professor of poetry at Oxford University and the author of highly regarded works of literary criticism such as "The Force of Poetry" and "Allusion to the Poets," as well as books on T.S. Eliot, Lord Alfred Tennyson and John Keats.

"But I think his is an art of a mixed medium," Ricks said. "I think the question would not be whether he deserves (the Nobel Prize) as an honor to his art. The question would be whether his art can be described as literature."

"Dylan is a major American bard and minstrel of the 20th century" who deserves the award for his "mighty and universal powers," Allen Ginsberg wrote in his Nobel Prize nomination letter.

Dylan was more than a decent lyricist. If he was decent, then give me an example of a better one, besides Lou Reed and Leonard Cohen. Leonard Cohen is the one guy that I will say was better than Dylan, and im not even sure that he was better. I prefer Dylan. Lou Reed is close, but I wont say hes better.

He was also more than a decent musician. His songs focus on his lyrics, not his musicianship. He was a good finger picker and he could hold his own on the organ, piano and harmonica. Ive seen him live and I couldnt believe how good he was at the organ and harmonica, simply because his records dont display his skill as an instrumentalist. He was doing some soloing on
his harmonica when I saw him and it was great. I was very surprised by how good he was.

the first 30 seconds of soloing in this song is Dyan. Its not amazing, but its not bad by any means. He never was a lead guitarist. Actually, its pretty difficult to sing while doing some of his fingerpicking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDHkRrJ9QE

Also, just about all of the lead guitar playing on his unplugged album was done by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJpB_AEZf6U

If youre not a Dyaln hater and you know of some good examples of his skill as an instrumentalist, please post them.

Last edited by blastingas10; 09-29-2011 at 01:20 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote