Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #295 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Its pretty apparent that Lou Reed was influenced by Dylan. You can hear it in his vocal style.
I mainly hear it in Reed's way of emphasizing certain words. He still had a very unique voice for his time (despite Dylan's influence), and many alternative rock musicians would later mimic it in the 80s and early 90s.

Quote:
However, I dont think he was better than Dylan.
Neither do I. As far as solo careers go, Dylan has a much more successful one, while Reed only has a handful of decent albums (with the majority of the others being either average or absolute crap).

Quote:
I dont think they more important either. As you said, Reed was heavily influenced by Dylan.
Oh, I definitely think The Velvet Underground were more important, more innovative, and more creative than Dylan, but that's another discussion for another time. We could debate it all day if we wanted to, but... it wouldn't really go anywhere.

Quote:
I dont need to provide examples. Just listen to the music, read the lyrics. Its a fact that Dylan was very influenced by classic poets.
I'm just curious in whether or not he uses any allusions in referencing certain classical poets' work or which poets specifically influenced him. I'm not dismissing Dylan's versatility in lyricism in any shape or form.

Quote:
Dylan was more than a decent lyricist. If he was decent, then give me an example of a better one, besides Lou Reed and Leonard Cohen.
Aesop Rock and (maybe) Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by TockTockTock; 09-29-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: it wuz a gramor errer
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote