Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #296 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
I mainly hear it in Reed's way of emphasizing certain words. He still had a very unique voice for his time (despite Dylan's influence), and many alternative rock musicians would later mimic it in the 80s and early 90s.

Neither do I. As far as solo careers go, Dylan has a much more successful one, while Reed only has a handful of decent albums (with the majority of the others being either average or absolute crap).

Oh, I definitely think The Velvet Underground were more important, more innovative, and more creative than Dylan, but that's another discussion for another time. We could debate it all day if we wanted to, but... it wouldn't really go anywhere.

I'm just curious in whether or not he uses any allusions in referencing certain classical poet's work or which poets specifically influenced him. I'm not dismissing Dylan's versatility in lyricism in any shape or form.

Aesop Rock and (maybe) Townes Van Zandt
Dylan was influenced by Dylan Thomas(where he got the name "Dylan" from). T.S. Elliot, John Keats and William Blake just to name a few.

I will agree that the velvet underground were more experimental and innovative, but i dont think they were more important. Nobody can match Dylans level of influence except maybe the Beatles with the Velvet Underground shortly behind. I feel that its pretty safe to say that Dylan is the most influential artist of all time. The velvet underground werent even very popular in their day, it wasnt till later on down the road that they really got noticed. But that being said, The Velvet Underground were wayyyy ahead of their time and very very influential. Im a big fan. Townes Van Zandt was good but he was no Dylan in my opinion. What about Van Morrison? I think he was a great lyricist. Were pretty much seeing eye to eye here. We agree on most things being said.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote