Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead vs. Jimi Hendrix
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #48 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
I'm not saying he's a complete copycat. I'm saying, his style derives from taking things, and collaging them together. Which involves assembling pieces, and imitating them.

His compositional style comes entirely from collecting pieces together, and iconoclastically throwing them together. IE. each piece of every song he does is a chameleon act.

Which isn't a bad thing at all, I'm just saying.

Hendrix's process was significantly more organic, and more on adapting his sound under an envelope of specific goals rather than referencing to the vast library of music created before him.

Buckethead makes a very fine respectful nod to his past, but Hendrix moved things into the future.
I agree with this. Buckethead said himself in an interview that he studies the style of other guitarists until he can copy them, something he's undoubtedly done with Jimi Hendrix and several others.

He still does have his very unique sounding albums, but if you want to say which is the original and which is the copycat, then of course it's Hendrix and Buckethead in that order.

Love both by the way!