Music Banter - View Single Post - Rush- Moving Pictures- 1981
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Its not half as good as the 70s album 'Caress Of Steel' or '2112' are, as far as (classic progressive rock) in my opinion. Although 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Limelight' are 80s prog classics in their own right.
Necromancer-- interesting comments. I could be wrong, but I always assumed your avatar name came from the Rush track of the same name, which is on "Caress of Steel." If that is correct, than your mention of "Caress" makes sense. Personally, I love that album, and it is severely underrated. "The Fountain of Lamneth" is a great side long epic that sounds completely unique compared to the other Rush epic tracks. You also have "The Necromancer," which is by far the heaviest song in the Rush catalog. However, "Caress" also contains "I think I'm going Bald," and the narration section of "The Necromancer," which drop the album a few points (7/10 in my book), whereas "Moving Pictures" is flawless in my opinion.

However, If you're talking about Rush's peak progressive rock albums, then "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" easily trump "Caress of Steel."

As for "Moving Pictures," it might not be progressive in the traditional first wave of progressive rock sense, but it is progressive, and you can even make a case that it shows more progress than "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" because it is doing something completely new, remaining complex, and appealing to the masses-- not an easy thing to accomplish. Personally, it is my favorite Rush album, but that race is a very close one.

Here's "The Camera Eye" off "Moving Pictures" (one of my all time favorite songs by any band) and the 1st half of "The Fountain of Lamneth" from "Caress of Steel." Both songs are progressive in their own way, but more importantly both songs are great and quintessentially Rush.

Last edited by RMR; 11-27-2011 at 06:48 AM.
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote