Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Its not half as good as the 70s album 'Caress Of Steel' or '2112' are, as far as (classic progressive rock) in my opinion. Although 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Limelight' are 80s prog classics in their own right.
You`re not serious, you are actually comparing Caress of Steel to Moving Pictures!!!
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
You`re not serious, you are actually comparing Caress of Steel to Moving Pictures!!!
I had a grin on my face from 'ear to ear' before I even read your God Damn post! Soldier.

So go on off and play with your Cheap Trick.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

it's my favourite Rush album besides the 2112 trilogy
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back
 
RMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Its not half as good as the 70s album 'Caress Of Steel' or '2112' are, as far as (classic progressive rock) in my opinion. Although 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Limelight' are 80s prog classics in their own right.
Necromancer-- interesting comments. I could be wrong, but I always assumed your avatar name came from the Rush track of the same name, which is on "Caress of Steel." If that is correct, than your mention of "Caress" makes sense. Personally, I love that album, and it is severely underrated. "The Fountain of Lamneth" is a great side long epic that sounds completely unique compared to the other Rush epic tracks. You also have "The Necromancer," which is by far the heaviest song in the Rush catalog. However, "Caress" also contains "I think I'm going Bald," and the narration section of "The Necromancer," which drop the album a few points (7/10 in my book), whereas "Moving Pictures" is flawless in my opinion.

However, If you're talking about Rush's peak progressive rock albums, then "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" easily trump "Caress of Steel."

As for "Moving Pictures," it might not be progressive in the traditional first wave of progressive rock sense, but it is progressive, and you can even make a case that it shows more progress than "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" because it is doing something completely new, remaining complex, and appealing to the masses-- not an easy thing to accomplish. Personally, it is my favorite Rush album, but that race is a very close one.

Here's "The Camera Eye" off "Moving Pictures" (one of my all time favorite songs by any band) and the 1st half of "The Fountain of Lamneth" from "Caress of Steel." Both songs are progressive in their own way, but more importantly both songs are great and quintessentially Rush.



__________________
RMR
My music reivew site: RMR Music Reviews

Last edited by RMR; 11-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
like i was poison ivy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,372
Default

Love this album and a great review. They were amazing live earlier this year.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Necromancer-- interesting comments. I could be wrong, but I always assumed your avatar name came from the Rush track of the same name, which is on "Caress of Steel." If that is correct, than your mention of "Caress" makes sense. Personally, I love that album, and it is severely underrated. "The Fountain of Lamneth" is a great side long epic that sounds completely unique compared to the other Rush epic tracks. You also have "The Necromancer," which is by far the heaviest song in the Rush catalog. However, "Caress" also contains "I think I'm going Bald," and the narration section of "The Necromancer," which drop the album a few points (7/10 in my book), whereas "Moving Pictures" is flawless in my opinion.

However, If you're talking about Rush's peak progressive rock albums, then "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" easily trump "Caress of Steel."

As for "Moving Pictures," it might not be progressive in the traditional first wave of progressive rock sense, but it is progressive, and you can even make a case that it shows more progress than "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" because it is doing something completely new, remaining complex, and appealing to the masses-- not an easy thing to accomplish. Personally, it is my favorite Rush album, but that race is a very close one.

Here's "The Camera Eye" off "Moving Pictures" (one of my all time favorite songs by any band) and the 1st half of "The Fountain of Lamneth" from "Caress of Steel." Both songs are progressive in their own way, but more importantly both songs are great and quintessentially Rush[
The Camera Eye is a very good song RMR. Im just personally attached to Caress Of Steel because it was the album when Rush inducted lyrics written by Peart and I think they actually found their sound and personality as a band with this particular album as well. Its always been like a prelude album to 2112 to me personally. I'm just a little bias when it comes to Caress Of Steel.

A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres are both outstanding albums too. This might not make very much sense, but I prefer Caress Of Steel by Rush over all other albums by Rush in the same way Ive always liked (Get Your Wings by Aerosmith) as my favorite album by them as well, but not their most popular album by far. Just personal preference, nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, I think Moving Pictures is an awesome album, I'm listening to the single "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs" now. YYZ is one of my favorite songs on the album itself. Thanks for your reply RMR, its always good talking with you.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back
 
RMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
Love this album and a great review. They were amazing live earlier this year.
Agreed! I saw them a few times on the Time Machine Tour, and it is amazing that a band that is pushing 40-years of activity still sounds so good. I can't think of any band from that era or earlier that still has the creativity and instrumental chops to still create new and relevant music. I can't wait for their new 2012 release, which sounds very heavy and innovative from the two singles that have been released so far.

Here are the two singles from Rush's forthcoming 2012 release "Clockwork Angles"



__________________
RMR
My music reivew site: RMR Music Reviews
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
metalheadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Great review. This was the first Rush album I ever heard when I was 10. I still love this album
metalheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
"The Camera Eye" and "Vital Signs" are good but not up to the level of any of the songs on the first side and "Witch Hunt" definitely counts as a miss for me.
I think this comment underlines one of the best things about Rush. There's a whole lot of diversity within their catalog, an album, or even just a song. Personally, Vital Signs and Witch Hunt are my top choices on the album with VS standing out by a long shot as a personal favourite straight across the musical spectrum.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
http://www.myspace.com/wallofpanda (updated 06/28/09-ish)
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.