Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeden888 View Post
I would advise that you just forget all that 'information', and discard it. Free that portion of the brain for more music. Music has always reflected 'cultural' ideals, and, tribal cultures usually used music as an appeal or appeasement to the various 'gods'.

Mating rituals in humans were rarely individual rites. And, as for animals, i.e birds, science understands them less than they understand us.

Your comments appear to address the issues with far more logic and reasoning than the comments quoted by the various 'sources'. It seems that the authors fail to take into account the biggest influence on modern music. Money. Record companies create 'sex idols', and pop music is designed to appeal to teenage girls. And, that all began with Elvis, who never wrote or co-wrote a song his entire career. And, he is the 'king'?

I won't rant. I agree with most of your comments. I would, however, toss the book in the trash file. Music has not 'evolved'. It has undergone several changes, which, then simply are classified under different or new genres.

Disco did die a quick death, thank heaven But, it can still be heard in techno dance pop. If one were to consider that 'evolution', I suppose that would be a valid opinion. And finally, it is said that 'emo' grew out of the post-hardcore punk scene, but, I cringe whenever I read that

Oh well. I suppose I could write a book here, but, I digress

peace

steve
Perhaps I should point out, clearly this time, that this is the stupidest post I've read so far in the thread.

"the authors fail to take into account the biggest influence on modern music. Money."

The thread is not about the evolution of modern day music into various genres. Try and understand the thread instead of just pretending that you do and get on topic, please!