Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #35 (permalink)
blankety blank
Passerby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Perhaps I should point out, clearly this time, that this is the stupidest post I've read so far in the thread.

"the authors fail to take into account the biggest influence on modern music. Money."

The thread is not about the evolution of modern day music into various genres. Try and understand the thread instead of just pretending that you do and get on topic, please!
Quote:
In contemporary society, interest in music also peaks during adolescence, further bolstering the sexual-selection aspects of music. Far more ninteen-year-olds are starting bands and trying to get their hands on new music than are forty-year-olds, even though forty-year-olds have had even more time to develop their musicianship and preferences. "Music evolved and continues to function as a courtship display, mostly broadcast by young males to attract females," [cognitive psychologist] Geoffry Miller argues.
Boy I sure feel stupid. "In contemporary society, Music evolved and continues to function as a courtship display, mostly broadcast by young males to attract females"........HMMMMM

Quote:
The thread is not about the evolution of modern day music into various genres.
I believe I stated a disagreement with the idea that contemporary music has NOT evolved, it has simply undergone changes, and has been re-categorized into various or different genres.

The last I checked, Classical is still Classical. Jazz is still Jazz. Blues are still Blues. Opera is still Opera. And, I believe Country still is Western. Classic Rock is still Classic Rock. Bluegrass yep.

But, pop is now techno, emo, brit pop, dream pop, indie pop, math rock, ska punk, neo-glam, ambient pop, space pop, lo-fi, noise pop, chamber pop...blah blah blah...

And, that is just a smidgen.

Here is a link for you, in case you would like a couple hundred more examples.

Explore: Pop/Rock | AllMusic

Quote:
"the authors fail to take into account the biggest influence on modern music. Money."
So, the fact that some author states that contemporary music has evolved and continues to function as a courtship display. And, I say no it hasn't, I disagree, I do not believe that. I have another opinion. Gee, how ignorant of me to have an opinion that is totally valid and poignant to the fact of just how contemporary music is influenced by powerful record moguls, who mold and shape performers for profit, rather than how it has 'evolved' and continues to function as some primate mating ritual.

Maybe, I need some stupid pills. Could you recommend a good stupid doctor?

Perhaps I should point out clearly that before you go around calling someone stupid, you might want to put down the PBR, and consider finishing 5th grade.
The third time's the charm they say.

I'm just guessing, however, I have no idea. You may be 12 or 13, who knows?
I never checked your profile, so, you may not read English so well.
I certainly don't mean to assume you are stupid like me.

But, since I do actually have a degree in psychology, I feel like I am qualified to have a different opinion on the subject. How about you? I'm sure you have a PhD, right?

peace my brother