Music Banter - View Single Post - Do atheists believe that Jesus existed?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #159 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Can someone explain this saying to me? It has never made sense. Perhaps I'm taking it too literally, but whether you win or lose has no bearing on objective historical facts and events.
If you look at how the original apostolic church has been modified, maligned, and subsequently evolved by those in positions of power (aka "the victors") it's fairly easy to see how this applies.

Here are some questions to facilitate the process of understanding this:

1. How and why did the Holy Roman Empire go from being a largely pagan entity which sought to eradicate the small, but growing, subversive Christian populace (church) to becoming what we now know as the Catholic Church?

2. How did Saul of Tarsus (Saint Paul b. ca 5 AD -67AD), Go from being one of the greatest persecutor of early Christians to being considered Christianity's greatest messenger? Mind you 13 out of the 27 books of the New Testament were "officially" written by him, (there may be more that have been incorrectly attributed to other authors) and he wasn't even an actual apostle of Jesus. Also bear in mind that there are only four Gospels in the NT which account for the life and ministry of Jesus, none of which were written by any of his contemporaries (the apostles).

I ask these question, because even writing a rudimentary history would be extremely time consuming, as it would be the equivalent of writing a small book, but the answer to both will give as much historical evidence as can be found to the true nature of the historical Jesus, if he in fact existed, which I believe he did, but his history has been written by those in power who sought to use his influence to control an ignorant populace.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote