Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #57 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
What I found interesting is when the book pointed out patterns to me in music I was not accustomed to. Culturally I was brought up on the standard AABA song formation, so classical and jazz (for instance) music all seems very unfocussed to me. I was very surprised to learn that these genres have structure as well; I just haven't heard enough of the paradigm to learn it. Teaching some of the basic structures of genres yields greater enjoyment of the pieces.
I'll probably pick up this book...I don't know how much I want to really break down my enjoyment of music to a science, but it does sound like it covers a lot of interesting stuff.

Jazz is actually the perfect example of this. I also could never really get into jazz...it took a very traceable and "patterned" path for me to get it. I'm a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, so naturally I think Jimmy Chamberlin is an amazing drummer. He had a lot of jazz roots, so I could really appreciate that. So, jazz drums were my first hook. It was actually his second band The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex that kind of helped the music side of things along. It was like a jazz/alternative blend so I knew I could enjoy jazz on some level. Still, I couldn't really get into it until one day I happened to listen to Charles Mingus's album "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady". There was something in that album that just clicked with me. Now I love jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Salami View Post
You seem disappointed with avant garde music for it's lack of detectable order, and I feel the same for bands like the Mars Volta. I peronally think that as soon as they have an idea, they will play once and move on.
I'm not really disappointed with it. I just have a really hard time enjoying it until my mind can latch on to something. That's too bad you don't like the Mars Volta. They really do it right, in my opinion. I'll agree Omar can be all over the place and it would be great for him to linger on some of those ideas a bit longer, but I still think it's great stuff.