Music Banter - View Single Post - Trying Not To Be Redundant During Classical Period Week!
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
The actual Classical Era is my least favorite portion of what we call classical music. I often find it too overwrought, churchy and dainty.
This period does get some criticism from some classical listeners. Of course some of the very greatest names within the whole of classical actually originate from this period (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert), but beyond them people don't tend to know much of the music. Also very important genres like the symphony and string quartet originated and flourished. I think it helps to look at the full development of it up to about 1830 when you could say the romantic period started more obviously with the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. The High Classical is more the earlier period up to about 1800 or maybe slightly earlier during the 1790s. But I think it continued to develop beyond that and even had lasting influence with the sonata form structure on many important later composers (like Brahms).