Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead vs. Jimi Hendrix
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #307 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Rolling Stone only starts to get a credibility problem when they start getting nostalgic. And thats their biggest problem. Jimi is not the best guitarist ever by any measure. I hate to keep bagging on him but what did he do that was so impressive?

I'd guess for Rolling Stone the one thing that makes him #1 forever in their eyes is his "Star Spangled Banner" at Woodstock. The subtext of that gives RS readers orgasms to this day. Meanwhile, BH's interpolation of Somewhere over the Rainbow doesn't have quite the same "we're all reliving the sexual revolution, man!" feel. Therefore, its apparently not as good. Know what, I take it back, Rolling Stone sucks.
But don`t you think nostalgia plays a huge part in rock? Being a great artist in my opinion, doesn`t just mean how great you play your instrument or even how innovative you are, but also how you flaunt it, legends are born from moments like Woodstock.

When I think of the very best guitarists I think of Hendrix, Page and Blackmore because they knew how to strut their stuff and write great music besides playing the guitar. I find people like Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen despite their virtuosity with the guitar about as exciting as listening to a Nickelback record.

Out of interest, who would you say was the best guitarist ever?
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote