Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer: Reign in Blood- 1986
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Agree, definitely apples and oranges-- expect in terms of the speed of playing. And, you're also right in that Araya's and Graffin's vocals are very different; however, one of my main complaints with "RIB" is Araya's vocals can't keep up with the music, where Graffin's easily do, which is why I posted the clip.
I disagree with you about that too though. The music of both bands may technically be equally fast (though the end result doesn't sound like it to me) but I think Araya's vocals serve that better than Graffin's. Graffin tries, not completely successfully, to be sing-songy and melodic with his vocals and it tends to make the music feel slower, even if it really isn't. Araya, on the other hand, spits the words out in a very percussive way, almost like he's rapping, and it generally adds to the fast an ferocious mood of the music. Is it perfect and melodious? Not at all. It sounds raw and off the rails, but that's perfect for the music. The song "Necrophobic" is a good example of what I'm talking about:

Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote