Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer: Reign in Blood- 1986
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I disagree with you about that too though. The music of both bands may technically be equally fast (though the end result doesn't sound like it to me) but I think Araya's vocals serve that better than Graffin's. Graffin tries, not completely successfully, to be sing-songy and melodic with his vocals and it tends to make the music feel slower, even if it really isn't. Araya, on the other hand, spits the words out in a very percussive way, almost like he's rapping, and it generally adds to the fast an ferocious mood of the music. Is it perfect and melodious? Not at all. It sounds raw and off the rails, but that's perfect for the music. The song "Necrophobic" is a good example of what I'm talking about:
As much as I hate the term and to admit it, I agree with you that Graffin's vocals could be described as sing-songy, but it just appeals to me more. It just sounds to me like Araya is just about out of breath trying to keep up with the music.

One additional point, Araya does not sing as fast live, where as Graffin does, but I'm taking us way off topic now, and like you said originally-- apples and oranges really. One more BR clip just for kicks. One of my favorite tracks, "Modern Man," which is super fast and melodic.