Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Improvement Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #1002 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankycaaant View Post
Probably brought this up before, but Music Banter needs a repping system, where you can add points to a users reputation for a good post, or negative points for a poor post.

Would keep everybody on their toes.
No. Reputation systems usually result in extreme elitism and cliquey-ness among regular members. I was a moderator on a forum that had a rep system and this is exactly what happened. People were using negative rep to bully the members that they didn't like. And then other members would bitch to the mods about how the person who gave them negative rep should be infracted and/or banned from the forum. I can tell you right now that there are members here who will do exactly that if and when they receive negative rep. It created a crapload of work for the mods, on top of dealing with every other problem on the forum.

When the rep system was introduced on my old forum, it quickly disintegrated into a shell of the community it once was. I like it here at MB and I don't want to see that happening. Reputation points seem like a good idea in theory, but in reality they create more drama, and MB certainly doesn't need anymore drama than we've seen in the last year.

I can't stress enough that reputation points make or break a forum; and that in most cases, they break a forum apart. Of course, positive rep is, well, positive - but the problem here lies with the doling out of negative rep. It can work on some forums, but it certainly won't work on this one.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote