Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Announcements, Suggestions, & Feedback
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #1001 (permalink)
The Big Dog
 
14232949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,949
Default

Probably brought this up before, but Music Banter needs a repping system, where you can add points to a users reputation for a good post, or negative points for a poor post.

Would keep everybody on their toes.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #1002 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankycaaant View Post
Probably brought this up before, but Music Banter needs a repping system, where you can add points to a users reputation for a good post, or negative points for a poor post.

Would keep everybody on their toes.
No. Reputation systems usually result in extreme elitism and cliquey-ness among regular members. I was a moderator on a forum that had a rep system and this is exactly what happened. People were using negative rep to bully the members that they didn't like. And then other members would bitch to the mods about how the person who gave them negative rep should be infracted and/or banned from the forum. I can tell you right now that there are members here who will do exactly that if and when they receive negative rep. It created a crapload of work for the mods, on top of dealing with every other problem on the forum.

When the rep system was introduced on my old forum, it quickly disintegrated into a shell of the community it once was. I like it here at MB and I don't want to see that happening. Reputation points seem like a good idea in theory, but in reality they create more drama, and MB certainly doesn't need anymore drama than we've seen in the last year.

I can't stress enough that reputation points make or break a forum; and that in most cases, they break a forum apart. Of course, positive rep is, well, positive - but the problem here lies with the doling out of negative rep. It can work on some forums, but it certainly won't work on this one.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #1003 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,116
Default

+1 karma for BD.
__________________
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #1004 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
+1 karma for BD.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #1005 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Come back to the mod team, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
You're hired. When can you start?
I'm currently enjoying my freedom as a regular member too much to want to moderate, but .. Thanks guys
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #1006 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I'm currently enjoying my freedom as a regular member too much to want to moderate, but .. Thanks guys
I was mostly being sarcastic.

(not that I wouldn't want you back or anything.)
__________________
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #1007 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Personally, I'd like to see Right-Track back in the job.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Stoned and Jammin' Out
 
Mrd00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California; Eugene, OR; mobile
Posts: 1,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
No. Reputation systems usually result in extreme elitism and cliquey-ness among regular members. I was a moderator on a forum that had a rep system and this is exactly what happened. People were using negative rep to bully the members that they didn't like. And then other members would bitch to the mods about how the person who gave them negative rep should be infracted and/or banned from the forum. I can tell you right now that there are members here who will do exactly that if and when they receive negative rep. It created a crapload of work for the mods, on top of dealing with every other problem on the forum.

When the rep system was introduced on my old forum, it quickly disintegrated into a shell of the community it once was. I like it here at MB and I don't want to see that happening. Reputation points seem like a good idea in theory, but in reality they create more drama, and MB certainly doesn't need anymore drama than we've seen in the last year.

I can't stress enough that reputation points make or break a forum; and that in most cases, they break a forum apart. Of course, positive rep is, well, positive - but the problem here lies with the doling out of negative rep. It can work on some forums, but it certainly won't work on this one.
Agreed, it's not necessary. One thing I do think would be a nice addition in a similar vein is a like or +1 button on everyone's posts. They have this on the weed forum I used to regular. So when someone says something that really deserves attention or you agree with so much you don't have anything to add, you 'like' the post, instead of either posting a "I completely agree" short post to show solidarity or remaining silent and then the OP doesn't know that anyone even read the post because nobody replied or had anything to add.

There have been numerous instances where I've been on MB here and wanted to thumbs up a post but instead just kind of nodded to myself and clicked back to look at a different thread.

The down side, I guess, is that there are less filler posts where all that gets said is "I know, right?" but that's not really a downside. People will still post if they have something to add, legitimately...

I don't know if you know what I'm talking about or not, but I think it's not uncommon so you might...

I'd love to see that in effect. I think it would be very useful and I don't know of any downsides...
__________________
Mrd00d's Last.fm

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1009 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
Agreed, it's not necessary. One thing I do think would be a nice addition in a similar vein is a like or +1 button on everyone's posts. They have this on the weed forum I used to regular. So when someone says something that really deserves attention or you agree with so much you don't have anything to add, you 'like' the post, instead of either posting a "I completely agree" short post to show solidarity or remaining silent and then the OP doesn't know that anyone even read the post because nobody replied or had anything to add.

There have been numerous instances where I've been on MB here and wanted to thumbs up a post but instead just kind of nodded to myself and clicked back to look at a different thread.

The down side, I guess, is that there are less filler posts where all that gets said is "I know, right?" but that's not really a downside. People will still post if they have something to add, legitimately...

I don't know if you know what I'm talking about or not, but I think it's not uncommon so you might...

I'd love to see that in effect. I think it would be very useful and I don't know of any downsides...
They have that on another forum I visit and to be honest I think it has a negitive effect on the quality of the site. Because of it people try to make witty, smart-alec posts just to get a load of thumbs up instead of actually contributing something worthwhile. It's becoming a contest to see who can get the most thanks.

Again a good idea in theory but doesn't seem to work in practice.
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #1010 (permalink)
Stoned and Jammin' Out
 
Mrd00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California; Eugene, OR; mobile
Posts: 1,597
Default

I don't know, you might be right and you might be wrong. We would have to see. I think there are a lot of posts here that fly under the radar and don't get proper props. Unlike the rep bar, the total +1s or likes received isn't even public, or if it is, is only viewable on your profile so it's not an e-peen contest. I think it would do much more good than bad here, but we won't know unless we try or vote.
__________________
Mrd00d's Last.fm

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.