Music Banter - View Single Post - Do I have a bad taste in music?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #79 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
No I don't abhor melody. Melody is great, but not essential. I pretty much can't listen to pop top 40. I would say I can't listen to female pop singers, but, for example Alannis Morissette is all right in my book and I could name a couple others. It's not that...

I would say I can't listen to... there's a certain thing that is hard to pin down exactly, that I come to expect out of 99% of top40 popular music. I need music to be at least semi-intricate and/or have relatable lyrics. And I can't relate to songs by artists such as Kanye, Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, 50 Cent, Nickelback, etc. because there is nothing at all in it that I can enjoy, and they've had their chances. Not all of them, some more than others, but I've come to the conclusion. I can't get behind songs fit for the club, so to speak. At worst, it's that I can't get behind mindless music made for the sole purpose of money instead of art, but that's not true in every case either. I can't get behind 'just for fun music'? It's a hard feeling to describe but I hope I'm making sense.

I'm a poor, 24 year old, pot smoking, male with no girlfriend. I'm not into materialism, I'm a Simpleeeee kind of man. I can't get behind rap songs that are about ''gettin bitches, stackin paper", I can't get behind pop music that's about being a teenager in love/person in love because I'm not and don't know what that's about. I'm not into the money grab music. I'm not interested in chasing artists that are a passing fad and when society jumps on a bandwagon, like Drake, for example, and Lil Wayne before that, and so on back through time, I expect something good and get disappointed with more of the same recycled music we've been hearing out of top40 for the last few decades. Society overhypes garbage.

It's about being able to relate. And about the art of music. Something I can't seem to find in top40. Kanye West's MBDTF might have come close, but not close enough for me.
I'm not sure if you have to specifically relate to your own personal life with music, in fact people who do that could well be deceiving themselves anyway. The main thing is just to relate to the general feeling, whether of love, anger or whatever energy is being conveyed.

I think quite a lot of rock music is made for money and just for a niche market by being in a very limited style. So it's hard to just brandish modern western style chart music with that alone. Some rock music styles can definitely be about being a passing fad, maybe more than pop music really. And certainly some indie stuff can get very overhyped. As for music as fun, I think all music is meant to be fun, in that it is meant to be entertainment and something to stimulate our minds. Happy songs or sad songs can all be fun.