Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #567 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't believe cannabis use in the US and it'c cultural importance is anywhere close to alcohol use and its cultural importance at the time of prohibition. I'm no expert on US history with legality, but I would expect that pre-prohibition, alcohol had much the same role in society that it does today. That it was a pleasure the large majority of adults indulged in which a number of people had made a legal business out of pre-prohibition. It had been accepted and was part of food culture a long time before prohibition. People were used to it.

I don't believe the same is true for cannabis users. While there certainly are many, it's mostly prevalent in certain social groups and can't be said to be something adults from just about all walks of life do. Out of the statistics of how many there are who have smoked, most probably just experimented during their teens. It has no real place in food culture beyond hash brownies, no one have legal cannabis jobs that their family have held through generations and I would think that unlike alcohol which is something many consumed weekly pre-prohibition (my guess), the percentage of the population who today use cannabis weekly is relatively much less. Alcohol came into illegality from a long period of social/cultural acceptance. It has a long societal history. Today, cannabis is not coming into illegality from a long period of legality. It is not becoming legal after centuries of use and acceptance on a grand scale. It is not the 1800s and the drugs are different. Hence, there's no reason the two scenarios will play out exactly the same.

A few posts made recently in this thread :

Here's a swedish study I linked to : CANNABIS AND SCHIZOPHRENIA A Longitudinal Study of Swedish Conscripts : The Lancet

I read a report that just about all who smoke knows someone who have freaked out more or less on cannabis. Many of them suffered for long periods after the drug has worn off. This happens to newcomers to the drug and it can seriously screw up their lives. This does happen to a lot of people and unlike alcohol, it's way harder to see it coming. I can't understand why people seem to think this is irrelevant. I believe I posted a link to the report earlier in the thread. I may have to dig it up again.

Good, cause I thought maybe you were. You've been making posts like these :

Yet, if you'd read my posts, you'd know that health-wise, I think the scary part about cannabis health-wise is users can't know beforehand how they will react to the drug. You know that if you drink lots of alcohol every day, that will deteriorate your health. However, you don't know if you're gonna be okay after casually smoking cannabis a total of ten times in your lifetime.

I believe you knew this by the time you wrote that post (you read my posts, don't you?), yet you still decided to make it. It's like instead of making thought out posts with valid points, you're just making up little questions. You force people who debate with you defend their positions over again in an attempt to tire them out.
Of course not. Adults have jobs that require drug tests. If people were tested for alcohol at work, then you would be saying that about alcohol. And you also have to consider the propaganda that was used to make marijuana look like the devil. People have been brainwashed into thinking that marijuana is horrible and for some illogical reason, alcohol is more acceptable.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote