Music Banter - View Single Post - Prop 8 Ruled Unconstitutional
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
How then would anyone know what they are?

I might think I have a right to a ham sandwich, but demonstrating how I came by that right is what matters.
Not sure if serious...
Pardoning the wildly irrelevant and asinine comparison of human rights to the right of eating a ham sandwich, if you think human rights are solely defined by whether they were written on a document or not, then I am truly amazed.

While I'll give you (or anyone else, assuming you were just picking at a statement out of context of the point it was in) the fact that marital status and the material benefits it brings are more of a legality matter than a human rights mater, the implication of a recognized union that is not discriminated on based solely on whether or not that union is comprised of a male and female is CERTAINLY obvious and should not be referred to in a document.

Any prerequisite not based on personal morality, should you appeal to their nature, whether standardized or assumed, is met in the case of same-sex marriage. It's not hurting anyone if same-sex couples marry, and simultaneously, they would enjoy the same benefits that we afford traditional married couples not being discriminated against because of their choice of partner.