Music Banter - View Single Post - Slavery & the Civil War
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #37 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I always thought the war was about self determination of the slave states and slavery just happened to be one of the issues involved. I know a number of slave states actually stayed with the Union and other like Kentucky and Kansas etc were undecided.
Kansas was a free state; hence the term "border wars" for the games between Missouri University & Kansas University, as well as the KU mascot the "Jayhawk"...

All the light blue were states that had slavery but ended up going with the Union for one reason or another. This is also how we got West Virginia....

Anyways, my $0.02:

1) Slavery was the issue at hand in a round about way. The way I'd put it is when you've a housemate who never does the dishes, and then one day you come home and the entire place smells like catbox, and you flip your ****, and you include something along the lines of "....AND YOU NEVER DO THE GODDAMNED DISHES!"

2) LINK <---Marx actually has some interesting things to say on the Civil War, and - of course - this relates to Economics.

3) Wars should be fought only for concrete material concerns, and I'm very skeptical of the notion any war carried out for "humanitarian reasons" it claimed.

4) I don't understand why any one who'd like Whites to retain majority status in the USA would support the demographic catastrophe that was slavery.