Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Greatest Guitarist Of Our/All Time?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Try Electric Tears, it seems like one of the sides of Buckethead you would enjoy (or as far as I can read from that post)
Thank you for the suggestion, Frownland. I listened to this song, "Electric Tears," off the Electric Tears album, thinking that it might represent well Buckethead's style on that album, and...

Buckethead - Electric Tears - YouTube

...unfortunately, ^ this is exactly the sort of music I dislike quiet vehemently!

The song is so slow, faintly sweet, and repetitive that it sounds insipid to me, and by 1 minute into it I was writhing in my seat in music agony, praying to the music gods that the song would change. The only change that occurred was that the image of the fountain (a type of fountain I *also* hate) shifted to...and image of Buckethead's head. Now his stage persona looks even creepier to me.

I did, however, like the low note at 3:46 in the song...so that's one good thing about it. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
He's a regular sweetheart. There's nothing inherently creepy about the man (Brian Caroll). I guess the Michael Myers mask and the KFC bucket is the creepy bit. Or how he does the robot and acts mechanical.

But I wanted to say, about his bucket/mask... He's shy. He makes music that people love and that I'm sure he enjoys, but doesn't want it to follow him home. Some people really dislike this for multiple reasons, but I see nothing wrong with that. He wants his privacy. He does not want the rockstar treatment. He doesn't want to get caught at the grocery store or bank or wherever and bombarded with publicity or fans or anything. Again, he's shy. I think his outfit is smart and I respect his will to privacy. It took ages for the masses to finally figure out his name.

I just wanted to share with you. It's not a gimmick. It's a matter of privacy. And once that was established, it becomes his stage persona. Which many people enjoy and many people detest. But try not to be bothered with it, if possible.

If I knew you and your taste better, Vegangelica, I'd try to personalize a recommendation for you. But BH is not for everyone. If you're not down with instrumental shred, funk, ambient, acoustic, or mellow rock [whatever the term to describe his softer works like Colma, Electric Tears, etc.] then he may not be for you.

Do you enjoy instrumental music? I'm gonna throw some Buckethead, Brain & Travis Dickerson out for you to sample. Thanatopsis

Thank you, Mrd00d, for your thoughtful reply and explanation for the bucket. I can understand his being shy and wanting to live his life as a normal one. I was over-hasty in writing the bucket off as just a gimmick. However, I still do think he could have covered up his hair without using a distracting *bucket*.

I'm glad you described the type of music he plays, because I think you are right: the situation here is that I'm not down with instrumental shred, funk, ambient, acoustic or mellow rock. It's kind of nice to have words, now, to describe succinctly some types of music that I must not like much.

I also frequently don't enjoy instrumental music (unless it is classical or unusual electronic music). So this would explain why I don't like Buckethead's music. I listened to Thanatopsis, for example, and didn't like it much at all, but thank you for the suggestion. I really do appreciate your making the effort to give one, even though I didn't like the song.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote