Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
September 4 2011 at a place called the Alter Bar in Pittsburgh. And my buddy got a bunch of the toys sadly I did not. Also he didnt have his band with him it was just backing tracks, granted if your a guitar nut and buckethead fan you dont need the whole band
Same here, it was just him and some backing tracks. Those backing tracks were bassing so hard it was blowing my hair I was front row. I still really enjoyed even though there wasnt a band with him. Im going to see him again march 2nd. He's playing with "that 1 guy". They're known as the Frankenstein Brothers. I can't wait. That 1 guys "magic pipe" is insane. Its going to interesting.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Stoned and Jammin' Out
 
Mrd00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California; Eugene, OR; mobile
Posts: 1,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Same here, it was just him and some backing tracks. Those backing tracks were bassing so hard it was blowing my hair I was front row. I still really enjoyed even though there wasnt a band with him. Im going to see him again march 2nd. He's playing with "that 1 guy". They're known as the Frankenstein Brothers. I can't wait. That 1 guys "magic pipe" is insane. Its going to interesting.
Aww lucky dog you. That One Guy is hilarious and very talented and creative. Are you saying That One Guy and Buckethead together make Frankenstein Brothers, because I'm aware of the project but not aware of that fact.

About Acoustic Shards, I played the hell out of that album and I don't really enjoy it as much anymore. That's my fault. I, too, love hearing proto versions of some of his work. My favorite track on that album is Spirals. Its fantastic for an acoustic track...
__________________
Mrd00d's Last.fm

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,216
Default

Whats awesome is his guitar strap.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
Whats awesome is his guitar strap.
The Bungee strap? It is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
Aww lucky dog you. That One Guy is hilarious and very talented and creative. Are you saying That One Guy and Buckethead together make Frankenstein Brothers, because I'm aware of the project but not aware of that fact.

About Acoustic Shards, I played the hell out of that album and I don't really enjoy it as much anymore. That's my fault. I, too, love hearing proto versions of some of his work. My favorite track on that album is Spirals. Its fantastic for an acoustic track...
Yes, The Frankenstein brothers are Buckethead and That One Guy.

Spirals is also my favorite song off Acoustic Shards. A great song it is.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

I've only heard one off songs he's done in collaborations with other artists and I've managed to hate every single one I've heard.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Try Electric Tears, it seems like one of the sides of Buckethead you would enjoy (or as far as I can read from that post)
Thank you for the suggestion, Frownland. I listened to this song, "Electric Tears," off the Electric Tears album, thinking that it might represent well Buckethead's style on that album, and...


Buckethead - Electric Tears - YouTube

...unfortunately, ^ this is exactly the sort of music I dislike quiet vehemently!

The song is so slow, faintly sweet, and repetitive that it sounds insipid to me, and by 1 minute into it I was writhing in my seat in music agony, praying to the music gods that the song would change. The only change that occurred was that the image of the fountain (a type of fountain I *also* hate) shifted to...and image of Buckethead's head. Now his stage persona looks even creepier to me.

I did, however, like the low note at 3:46 in the song...so that's one good thing about it. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
He's a regular sweetheart. There's nothing inherently creepy about the man (Brian Caroll). I guess the Michael Myers mask and the KFC bucket is the creepy bit. Or how he does the robot and acts mechanical.

But I wanted to say, about his bucket/mask... He's shy. He makes music that people love and that I'm sure he enjoys, but doesn't want it to follow him home. Some people really dislike this for multiple reasons, but I see nothing wrong with that. He wants his privacy. He does not want the rockstar treatment. He doesn't want to get caught at the grocery store or bank or wherever and bombarded with publicity or fans or anything. Again, he's shy. I think his outfit is smart and I respect his will to privacy. It took ages for the masses to finally figure out his name.

I just wanted to share with you. It's not a gimmick. It's a matter of privacy. And once that was established, it becomes his stage persona. Which many people enjoy and many people detest. But try not to be bothered with it, if possible.

If I knew you and your taste better, Vegangelica, I'd try to personalize a recommendation for you. But BH is not for everyone. If you're not down with instrumental shred, funk, ambient, acoustic, or mellow rock [whatever the term to describe his softer works like Colma, Electric Tears, etc.] then he may not be for you.

Do you enjoy instrumental music? I'm gonna throw some Buckethead, Brain & Travis Dickerson out for you to sample. Thanatopsis

Thank you, Mrd00d, for your thoughtful reply and explanation for the bucket. I can understand his being shy and wanting to live his life as a normal one. I was over-hasty in writing the bucket off as just a gimmick. However, I still do think he could have covered up his hair without using a distracting *bucket*.

I'm glad you described the type of music he plays, because I think you are right: the situation here is that I'm not down with instrumental shred, funk, ambient, acoustic or mellow rock. It's kind of nice to have words, now, to describe succinctly some types of music that I must not like much.

I also frequently don't enjoy instrumental music (unless it is classical or unusual electronic music). So this would explain why I don't like Buckethead's music. I listened to Thanatopsis, for example, and didn't like it much at all, but thank you for the suggestion. I really do appreciate your making the effort to give one, even though I didn't like the song.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, Frownland. I listened to this song, "Electric Tears," off the Electric Tears album, thinking that it might represent well Buckethead's style on that album, and...


Buckethead - Electric Tears - YouTube

...unfortunately, ^ this is exactly the sort of music I dislike quiet vehemently!

The song is so slow, faintly sweet, and repetitive that it sounds insipid to me, and by 1 minute into it I was writhing in my seat in music agony, praying to the music gods that the song would change. The only change that occurred was that the image of the fountain (a type of fountain I *also* hate) shifted to...and image of Buckethead's head. Now his stage persona looks even creepier to me.

I did, however, like the low note at 3:46 in the song...so that's one good thing about it. :/


Thank you, Mrd00d, for your thoughtful reply and explanation for the bucket. I can understand his being shy and wanting to live his life as a normal one. I was over-hasty in writing the bucket off as just a gimmick. However, I still do think he could have covered up his hair without using a distracting *bucket*.

I'm glad you described the type of music he plays, because I think you are right: the situation here is that I'm not down with instrumental shred, funk, ambient, acoustic or mellow rock. It's kind of nice to have words, now, to describe succinctly some types of music that I must not like much.

I also frequently don't enjoy instrumental music (unless it is classical or unusual electronic music). So this would explain why I don't like Buckethead's music. I listened to Thanatopsis, for example, and didn't like it much at all, but thank you for the suggestion. I really do appreciate your making the effort to give one, even though I didn't like the song.
I wouldn't recommend Electric Tears, that album puts me to sleep except for a song or two. You need to listen to albums like "Population Override" and "Decoding the Tomb of Bansheboot".


buckethead-Population Override - YouTube


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I've only heard one off songs he's done in collaborations with other artists and I've managed to hate every single one I've heard.
Don't waste your time with collabs from people like Serj Tanken. I don't like any of his collabs unless it's with Claypool, or some of his projects like The Frankenstein Brothers and Praxis, or the guys he plays with on the album "Octave of the Holy Innocents".
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,887
Default

I thought that you didn't like his hectic and agitated shred bits, vegangelica. Too bad you don't like electric tears, but to each his/her own.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post



Don't waste your time with collabs from people like Serj Tanken. I don't like any of his collabs unless it's with Claypool, or some of his projects like The Frankenstein Brothers and Praxis, or the guys he plays with on the album "Octave of the Holy Innocents".
I wasn't talking about those type of collaborations. I meant ones where a couple of people work together for one song on a compilation album or a soundtrack album.

I don't think I could sit through a whole album of this guy.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Stoned and Jammin' Out
 
Mrd00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California; Eugene, OR; mobile
Posts: 1,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
or the guys he plays with on the album "Octave of the Holy Innocents".
That'd be Jonas Hellborg! And Michael Shrieve on drums.

Hellborg is da man!

@Vegangelica You're welcome, it was worth a try in my opinion.
__________________
Mrd00d's Last.fm

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.