Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #18221 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneer View Post
Lots of posts related to job hunting, and I can completely empathise with some of the things being said. I've been a freelance copywriter for the last year, and I'm at the stage now where I believe I have acquired the skills needed to hold a position in-house. So for the last three weeks, I have been distributing a near innumerable amount of CV's and cover letters - but I'm getting the same response each time: "Sorry, unfortunately you do not have enough in-house experience to secure this role."

How the fuck am I expected to acquire this experience if nobody gives me a chance to prove myself? I've been copywriting for a year, and I've achieved positive results with all my jobs. Bullshit. I hate freelancing.

/rant over. TODAY, I spent my time planning a radio slot my friend and I have been given. Our debut is this Tuesday and we're shitting it.
Sheesh, I know what you mean actually. It's like that in a lot of jobs. How is one supposed to get into an industry if every opening requires even a year of prior experience doing the job? So you hunt for the one place that doesn't ask for experience. Is everyone interested in getting into that industry supposed to start at that job? Does the place even exist?

Example, I had read on reddit an AMA on being a police dispatcher and the guy said he was in rural Carolina (not specific on North or South for privacy) and said there weren't really any experience qualifications, just needed to be quick thinking, helpful, etc. but when I saw an opening here for a dispatcher it wanted 2-3 years experience minimum. Blargh. And I see that all the time on Craigslist. "Oh I bet I can do that ... aw damn they won't hire me, I haven't worked in this industry yet"

It's pretty lame. How does one break through?

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote